NEurope

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Rose & Camellia Collection

Just beat the first scenario… yeah, this game slaps. Great fun with the Joy-Con motion controls, I love how you can do feints. It’s all just mad satisfying to play. The hit reaction sprites… Oh My Daze, the animations are riotously funny Yeah, it’s great
  3. Eiyuden Chronicle: Hundred Heroes

Just got the first couple of hours tonight and am creeping up to the inciting incident – taking much, much longer than both Suikoden and Suikoden II to get there, but we're certainly getting there. So, anyways, to cover the obvious: the game looks gorgeous. New areas/dungeons also get a bit of a feature, reminding me a bit of some of the special art we'd get to see entering a new spot in some of the older Pokémon games: With that out of the way, I'm enjoying it so far. Having first played and written at length about Suikoden and Suikoden II on here back in 2021 for the Gaming Diary thread, and coming away from those games a very big fan of them, I'll admit, I'm going into this game with very high expectations, and so far I'd say - time taken to get to the *actual* inciting incident aside - it's meeting those expectations. My biggest hope is that once it's done and dusted, I'd like for it to fall somewhere between the two. So it looks gorgeous (it's worth repeating, I mean just look at it!), the addition of voice work is a welcome one in a game with this much dialogue, there are little tweaks which aren't at all going over my head like having access to the inventory as a whole during battle rather than needing to assign items to individual party members that only they can access during battle, your protag has an actual voice and isn't just a blank slate which I'm a big fan of, there's a lot of silliness to go around, I'm not the biggest fan of 2.5D and HD-2D games because they can feel a bit floaty but this feels great to move around in, and heck, there's even a wonderful world map to look at and a handy list of objectives with some super clean UI to boot: Also worth highlighting is the wonderful character art you get to see when a new character joins your party, such as with Mio here: Combat is just as snappy as it was during my time with Suikoden and Suikoden II, and works in a very similar way, but there are some very welcome additions which seems like they'll keep things fresh, namely in the form of special boss gimmicks, seeing the full order of a round of combat adding another layer to your strategy, and something I'm still figuring out where you can use one character to defend another who is nearly downed. The way SP charges work and function for Rune-Lens use by filling up with a charge as they go a round of battle unused should add a nice element of risk-reward. The Rune Attacks of Suikoden return rebranded as Rune-Lens attacks, while the Unite Attacks return rebranded as Hero Combos, and they both look suitably awesome: Sword Rain is 100% the coolest move available from the start of the game. But Friendship Combo looks great too! As for nitpicks at this early stage, I've seen the loading screen in brief flashes a lot more than I honestly expected to when joining and leaving battles (maybe it'll get patched, who knows?), but there is an upside - and that's a lovely Suikoden carryover in the form of the protag running while things load up! It's the simple things connecting the two which are really making me smile this goes the other way too, though, such as Dux Aldric looking like an older Luca Blight with a bit of facial hair... ...and of course there's Cassandra, the innkeeper with a portrait (almost certainly meaning she's recruitable and will be managing the inn when we get a base) being a huge step down from Leona from Suikoden II Anyways, final little nitpick: 'Enter' being the text that shows up to enter and exit a building, so I've just been viewing it as entering the outdoors but it feels WEIRD... The music so far is also just...kind of fine, so far? We'll see how it turns out but I won't lie, that's where my expectations were probably lowest going into this game, given the crazy quality of the first two Suikoden OSTs. Anyways, not wanting to go out on a low but instead on a high, one last thing I want to though: the geopolitics of a fictional JRPG world, as was front and centre in Suikoden and Suikoden II, just feels great. Even after Final Fantasy XVI built a great world and political intrigue, the first two Suikoden games are the absolute height of this for me in JRPGs, and I already feel the tension creeping up over the smallest of things, just with how certain characters say ambiguous things, carry themselves, or correct people in a petty way. It hasn't quite made up for the lack of an inciting incident in the first 30 minutes, but I'm sure it could do by the time credits roll around. Been in a proper gaming rut of late, so I can't help but feel this has arrived at the perfect time – super excited to get back to it already!
  4. Today
  5. The Wrasslin' thread

Just remember it’s American television. They have a lot more ads per hour than we do. But yeah when I watch RAW I can get through it in around 2 hours by fast forwarding all the ads and even more if you do the same for recaps and stuff (though they seem a lot less than in the past). Also love the new World Tag Titles, I expected the change to go inline with the men’s and women’s belts on RAW being named World too. Guess we’ll be seeing new WWE Tag Team belts on smackdown Friday.
  6. Kingmakers

This looks stupid... I approve
  7. Kingmakers

Ooooo! I watched the Digital Foundry interview about this with the fine developer folk over at Redemption Road last month and they seem a lovely and earnest bunch, well worth a watch Looks like it'll be a brilliant time hope it comes to console at some point! Think they've mentioned Xbox before but hopefully it comes to other platforms too
  8. Kingmakers

This looks utterly bonkers. *adds to wishlist*
  9. Year of Shadow

Well I hope nothing bad happens to someone Shadow cares about… Seems I missed quite a bit of lore by skipping that game.
  10. General Switch Discussion

Yeah, that's basically confirmation of the Switch 2 internal delay rumour. It's gonna be a real dry year for the current Switch...
  11. The Wrasslin' thread

Yeah, the Penta - Adam Copeland match was pretty good overall. The Swerve/Samoa Joe rivalry is getting more and more interesting as time goes on, hopefully Swerve wins the big one as he's pretty hot right now. Started watching RAW/Smackdown again since Wrestlemania (have TNT Sports as part of my EE phone). How many adverts does the show need to have, probably close to an hours worth of ads with about 80 minutes of actual wrestling
  12. I do generally agree with what you're saying @Julius, but unless Nintendo are planning on putting out another Partner Showcase in lieu of what would've been their usual E3 event in June, there won't be another major Switch event until at least September (and any such event will likely be focused on Switch 2 at that point, rather than the current model; as I'd expect Switch 2 to be launching in March 2025). Nintendo are basically done with the current Switch as far as major original first party games go now; which is why their February Direct was a Partner Showcase, rather than your usual mainline Nintendo Direct. And given that Switch 2 has been internally delayed from November 2024 to (probably) March 2025? That's likely pushed back any announcement/event plans that they had as well... hell, they've already pulled out of Gamescom 2024 likely for this very reason. So it's either Indie World or nothing as far as Nintendo related events go, and I doubt that they'd want to shackle up with Xbox in their own event. They could do their own announcement at SGF I suppose, but it'd probably get somewhat buried underneath Geoff Keighley's mountanous ego and his hard-on for AAAA explosion fests, so probably not the wisest choice of events either. The Triple III Initiative event was actually pretty dang good and would likely be their best shot outside of Indie World when they inevitably do their next event; as the last one was surprisingly successful and well recieved (136k views for their first ever event is pretty impressive and will likely only increase from there, given how much positive coverage it got afterwards; by comparison, the last Indie World scored around 836k views). But that probably won't be happening for a long time from now...
  13. While I agree that Indie World Showcases are the biggest shows consistently released specifically for indie titles, they're often lucky to break the 1 million views mark. They're nowhere near big enough to actually expand the audience for Silksong. Even in lieu of a Direct proper, for something like Silksong, I could see Nintendo coming up with any excuse to have a Partner Showcase and feature the title – I just think it would be going backwards to go from the first game shadow dropping during Nintendo's E3 Direct to an April Indie World Showcase that draws a fraction of the crowd. Heck, I'm sure that Nintendo not turning up with a Direct proper in 2022 is a big reason why it turned up at the Xbox Games Showcase instead. But, for the reasons I said above, I don't think an Xbox Games Showcase would be suitable for this game to shadow drop - they pull in a pretty niche slice of the gaming crowd, all things considered (and the thing being considered is that it's mostly Xbox fans, the smallest traditional platform to release on currently). Summer Game Fest would be absolutely suitable for this and draws in crowds from every platform, it would probably be the best event in terms of sheer eyes-on volume for this to drop during. But, checking the release schedule, I reckon that if we get a shadow drop or release date within the next month for Silksong, it'll be because of Shadow of the Erdtree launching 21st June. If Silksong is complete and ready to go, as the recent ratings would seem to suggest, I can easily imagine a scenario where they were waiting to shadow drop it at Xbox or SGF, learned of the Shadow of the Erdtree release date, and spotted that mid-April is pretty open by comparison. I think, at least in the diehard gaming crowd which has been fawning over Silksong updates for ages now, the overlap with the From crowd is pretty huge, and a lot of Hollow Knight's success overall is down to smart release timing and plenty of word of mouth to spread the word about the game. That'd be my guess anyways. Not saying it wouldn't be smart to drop tomorrow, there are just objectively bigger events coming up, and Shadow of the Erdtree is the only genuine reason I can think of wanting to avoid a mid-June release and deciding to just drop on a random Wednesday in April instead.
  14. Metaphor: ReFantazio (new Atlus IP, 2024)

Stream with the latest updates dropping next Monday (22nd April) at 23:00 BST. UK inclusion confirmed?!?!?!?!?! Is this game the ultimate British Empire power fantasy?!?!?!?!?!?!?! Will there be tea and colonies?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! Will the Queen somehow return?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! (okay but seriously a joke in this game about the difference between the United Kingdom vs Great Britain would be great)
  15. Indie World is the biggest and highest profile regular indie event that we currently have (across all platforms). With E3 being gone, I can't see any better opportunity we have for an indie game announcement like a Silksong trailer/release date. Only thing potentially bigger than an Indie World is a proper mainline Nintendo Direct; and we're not due another one until September now. The Triple III initiative has promise if it carries on being as good as their inaugural event, but right now, Indie World is the best we have.
  16. The years are flying by because I 1000% thought that we'd had a Mina update and new footage more recently than Silksong, but nope, latest stuff I can find is still Q1 2022 for Mina (mostly stuff shortly after that Yacht Club presentation with the game's KS announcement) and June 2022 for Silksong during the Xbox Games Showcase. Some serious mind fudgery going on here. Let's get updates on both! Okay maybe that's a bit much to ask for but eh, why not It definitely feels that way for me, I feel like a Direct would make the most sense for a shadow drop if it were going to happen, absolutely got the most eyes on them during those. Indie Showcases do middling numbers by comparison. There's no chance in hell in my mind that it drops during an Xbox event (even with Game Pass deals and the like) simply because of how poorly it would get communicated that it was dropping on everything. I mean Xbox buy a couple of days of Atlus saying their games are coming to Xbox only in their trailers, for pity's sake! Wdym, we get so many fantasy farming sim indies shadow drop all of the time, there's no way Silksong is bigger than those
  17. Rose & Camellia Collection

Game's out now on the eShop. Let the slap fights begin!
  18. I feel like Silksong might be too big for this but I won't argue with a shadow drop - would undoubtedly be the biggest shadow drop ever if it happens I'm with @Dcubed on the Mina the Hollower hype - feel like that's one I would jump into immediately whereas Silksong seems like much more of a time commitment.
  19. Yeah... it's time for Silksong. Personally I'm hoping to see Mina The Hollower here, as it's been 3,000 years, but nope; everyone else is just hyped for Silksong.
  20. If you haven't played The Messenger, yet, GO AND PLAY THE MESSENGER Edit: Oh, and don't play The Artful Escape
  21. It's indie time! Everyone probably melting down after the recent Silksong ratings haha
  22. A whole bunch of games leaving the service this month, 25 in total: Bunch of FF mainline titles bowing out, guess it makes sense as I suppose they wanted that impact up to and shortly after Rebirth, but still: that's one heck of a cull.
  23. Your 2024 Gaming Diary

Cheers for the heads-up. How strange though. DR1, 3 and 4 all have full controller support. On the pcgaming wiki page it has a green check mark next to XInput compatible controllers, pretty sure the controller I use can be switched to that. Anyway, even if it doesn't work, I could always use the custom controller mapping feature in Steam, right?
  24. I picked this up just a few days ago from a local game store by me! I had no idea what it was but at £7 I thought I'd give it a try. I really love it but I'm in the same boat as I can't figure out how to do well at the game I'm LOVING it though so I will endeavour to do better!
  25. Your 2024 Gaming Diary

Word of warning, apparantly the PC version of DR2/Off The Record does not support Xbox One/Series controllers. They will only support Xbox 360 controllers and nothing else from what I understand.
  26. Your 2024 Gaming Diary

Yeah, I'd heard that the games dip in quality after the sequel. I definitely plan to check out the second game at least, I'm just a bit confused about which version to get as it seems there are 2 Dead Rising 2. As far as I can tell, the "off the record" version is the one to go for, because it features Frank and all the photography stuff again. Indeed there is. And for sure, you would've done it buy driving around the maintenance tunnels, ludicrous amounts of zombies in there. Yup, unfortunately it doesn't make the cat talk, had it also included Garfield's sarcastic commentary I would have replayed the entire game! There is, however, another mod that replaces all cat meows with fart sound effects, which combines well with the Garfield skin.
  1. Load more activity