NEurope

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. good stuff thread.

Baby girl #2 due on Monday..! We're both wishing she were here already given how tough a pregnancy it's been. I'll have even less time to visit NE!
  3. Yeah, he teamed up with me for my first run of this. We took the 10,000 dollars, because it was funny! The Special K.O. system is very cool. It's a very a good way to encourage you to spend that Special bar regularly, luckily, it refills relatively quickly. I can already see the potential for some awesome combos when I get some practice in. The difficulty slider is a very cool idea. Easier modifiers get you less tokens There are a couple of problems though. The loading times are really long. They're not as long as the initial load, but it does slow the pace a bit. Also, the leaderboards are not as good as I'd hope. Unless I'm missing something, it only shows the top 50 players, and there's no way to compare your scores to friends. Which means it'll never be any good for me. But yeah, it's great. Would love to do some more 2 player runs with other people here.
  4. Today
  5. Eiyuden Chronicle: Hundred Heroes

Totally missed this: a Reddit AMA held earlier this week in r/JRPG by Rabbit & Bear Studios revealed that Murayama had started planning the game's sequel and that R&B will be moving ahead with a sequel. Direct link to question. Very happy to hear this. The original Suikoden was positioned more as a setting up of Suikoden II mechanically, technically (in terms of development), and as a story; with Eiyuden being a Kickstarter project, it's hard to imagine Murayama would've approached this much differently. A real shame that he won't be able to spearhead whatever comes next, especially after being away from this particular type of JRPG for so long, but I'm happy R&B are planning to carry his legacy forward, and from what I've read about Murayama when researching Suikoden in the past, he seemed to me like the type who would be flattered by them doing so and be happy that the team he helped put together would get a chance to continue making games together.
  6. Eiyuden Chronicle: Hundred Heroes

Joke's on you, I'll be getting the Switch version! Unless the achievements are also in-game, like Rising... Oh God! What if they're in-game, like Rising!?
  7. Super Nintendo World at Universal Studios

DK must've slipped on a banana or something, because the opening of the Donkey Kong Country section of the park at Universal Studios Japan has been delayed to "late 2024". As Miyamoto once totally and famously espoused:
  8. Hey! This game’s good! Gonna have to pick it up myself
  9. Eiyuden Chronicle: Hundred Heroes

I suppose Pokémon is an RPG with more than 100 playable characters (150 even!), and that still works, so just choose the characters that look cool. You can always change your mind later and release them back into the wild.
  10. Eiyuden Chronicle: Hundred Heroes

Urgh, doesn't fill me with confidence that I will enjoy the games when/if I play them...
  11. Eiyuden Chronicle: Hundred Heroes

Just to add some context from Suikoden to what @Glen-i said, there were a number of times in those games where temporary members would join your party for certain story beats; I think there were times that as many as 4 slots (including the main character) were essentially determined for you, other times you might need a certain trio in your party when talking to a recruitable character to recruit them, and so on. I'm not deep enough into Eiyuden to comment on how smoothly it's done it yet, but I'll be shocked if it doesn't use a heavy EXP multiplier like the early Suikoden games did, which made it a breeze to bring a new recruit joining you at, say, Lv 5, up to Lv 50 in just a few battles. This allowed for constant reconfiguring of your party and testing out new characters, which worked even better if you threw the new recruit in one of the back corners of your setup. This is also super important considering that mastering the game's battle mechanics is going to depend on having a setup which produces the most potential Hero Combos. For Suikoden and Suikoden II, outside of story beat-assigned characters, I would generally stick to a main trio based on how the story evolved (typically MC and childhood/family friends), fill the party in a little with Hero Combos in mind, and then in the last slot or two throw in some of the cooler looking or heavier hitting characters. I'm planning to do the same here Also just seen the full trophy list @Hero-of-Time, looks like it'll definitely take a bit of a grind (max out weapons for all characters). I'll be going for recruiting everyone but I think I'll pass on grinding that out especially with how long some of the other mini-game related trophies will probably take!
  12. Finally tried out the demo: it's pretty fun! Only did Level 1-1 and half of 1-2 (I originally intended to stop at the end of 1-1, so there's some proof of fun) The controls need some time to adjusted to (as with most 3D platformers, admittedly), but it's definitely aiming for that sort of platforming that's fast and pleasant. Like, it feels like it scratches that "Super Mario 64" itch, but with moves that have nothing to do with SM64. Penny's grounded moves are a typical dash and a sonic-style spin-dash. Her aerial moves are a double-jump, an air-dash, and a weird swinging motion that serves as a longer-reaching double jump. She also has a regular attack and a spinning yo-yo attack to fend off penguins (and solve certain obstacles). Level design reminds me of Kirby & the Forgotten Land: very linear, no camera control, some set pieces here and there, but there's always space for occasional exploration and side-objectives. Feels like a fast-paced platformer in 3D, done right.
  13. Eiyuden Chronicle: Hundred Heroes

Helps that I can discount all the characters who are human. Narrows it down a bit, but still leaves me with options. But I imagine this is the kind of game where you can just go with a party of the most interesting characters and stick with that if you want. At least, I hope it is. It could also be like Chrono Cross, where only 6 of the characters are any good. I doubt it'll be that bad, though.
  14. Eiyuden Chronicle: Hundred Heroes

How do you choose your party with so much choice?!
  15. Playstation 5 Console Discussion

Yeah, I feel pretty much the same. I can't see it getting any better either. There's only Shu that's left who seems to resonate with the PlayStation community. The rest just seem like a bunch of suits trying to nickel and dime the user base. As you said, the 3rd parties have done a lot of the heavy lifting and it's going to be interesting to see how things play out once the new Nintendo console arrives. If it's has enough power under the hood, I can see a lot of developers using that as their main platform, especially if it sells as well as the Switch. Apparently it's being worked on by the same guys who remade the first game.
  16. Hey look! Another arcade port! These are rare for the platform I swear!
  17. Playstation 5 Console Discussion

Hey! At least it’s some sort of acknowledgement of their legacy. That’s always nice to see I wonder if it’s being outsourced…
  18. Playstation 5 Console Discussion

Couple of years ago: Days Gone sells millions of copies following an admittedly mixed reception at launch due to being bug-ridden, but it's certainly popular. Plans for a franchise totally scrapped. PlayStation care about Metacritic scores just as much as sales, apparently. But they're still making a TV show, mind you! No-one: Absolutely no-one: PlayStation: SO ANYWAYS I STARTED REMAKING EVERYTHING NICHE AND/OR UNPOPULAR AND/OR NOT-SO-GREATLY RECEIVED. YOU GOT YOUR GRAVITY RUSHING TWICE REMAKE, CREEPY HORROR HOUSE WITH WEIRD FACES KINDA FIXED REMAKE, AND MEDIEVALEVIL SKELETOR REMAKE. THAT'LL BE 70 SQUIDDEMS TA AND HUZZAH. I simply don't understand what they're doing these days. It's actually incomprehensible. This goes beyond not feeling like my own game preferences are being met as consistently last gen by PlayStation, it feels like they're actively tarnishing how everything but AAAA first-party games are received by pushing out everything and anything which can skip most of pre-production due to being remakes at lower levels of development. The same generally goes for their TV and movie plans. Feels like they're beyond being dangerously prideful at this point. Thank goodness the PS5 is backwards compatible and that third-parties seem to be having a decent gen, I guess?
  19. General Movie Thread

I'm getting through my sixties DVDs, etc. I'm currently watching Dracula Has Risen from the Grave, starring Christopher Lee.
  20. Netflix

It's on my list of things to watch. It is supposed to be quite good though. It will be interesting to see what they kept or cut from the book, because that shit was strange.
  21. Cruis’n World PAL release: 25th June 1998 NA release: 30th September 1998 JP release: N/A Developer: Midway, Eurocom Publisher: Nintendo N64 Magazine Score: 38% While still nowhere near a good game, Cruis’n World has significant improvements over Cruis’n USA. It’s still an arcade-style racing game with a lot of courses, although this time it’s based across the world instead of just the USA. This gives us a much bigger array of visual variety. The visuals of the levels are very stereotypical, but it means the locations are very easy to identify and they all stand out from each other. The track design is also much more varied and isn’t almost entirely 4-lane roads. With the amount of tracks – including one on the moon – it’s certainly one of the stronger N64 racing games when it comes to tracks. There’s also a really nice variety in cars, mostly knock-offs of real ones, but also fun ones like a double-decker. Unfortunately, it’s all let down by the handling. One slight touch of the analogue stick and you swerve wildly across the road, with a drift that makes it even harder to control your vehicle. Winning is also very difficult because the other racers are so bad – they’ll often crash and you’ll end up in the pile up (well, more a bunch of cars spinning wildly in the air) as they block the road, letting the cars up front get ahead in such a way that you can be perfect for the rest of the race and not be able to catch up. I got fed up of this pretty quickly and resorted to using cheats. Strangely, the only track I won legitimately was one of the “expert” ones. It’s a shame because with better handling, it would be a very enjoyable game. Remake or remaster? A collection of the tracks and vehicles from these games with some better gameplay and handling would be an interesting package. Official ways to get the game. There is no official way to get Cruis’n World
  22. Comic Book Discussion Issue #2

Yeah I have. It was fine but nothing special, a bit basic and by the numbers. If it's cheap it's probably worth a read but nothing near the quality of the regular Power Rangers or Godzilla comics.
  23. Comic Book Discussion Issue #2

I was doing some browsing on Amazon last night and seen there trade for Godzilla vs Power Rangers. I was tempted to pick it up. Have you read it, @Happenstance?
  24. Playstation 5 Console Discussion

Charging top dollar for a MediEvil 2 remake is a bold move. I guess this is why they keep releasing versions of the original game on PS+ but not giving us the sequel.
  25. Your 2024 Gaming Diary

Nice write up, @Glen-i. It's a game I certainly want to play but I would like to go through Star Ocean First Departure R before doing so. That, along with a bunch of other SO games have been in my backlog for many moons now.
  26. Yesterday
  27. Freedom Planet 2 (4th April 2024)

So, this Switch release kind of came and went without too much fanfare, huh? I hereby appeal that y'all give this game a chance, it's really fun. But there is something weird: the game doesn't save your button configurations. Every time I start it, I have to change them from the default (B to jump, Y to attack) to how I prefer them (A to jump, B to attack). It's bizarre, for such a modern game.
  1. Load more activity